Popular from the 50s – 80s, popcorn ceiling also known as cottage cheese textured (due to it’s physical resemblance) ceiling, was an easy to apply material that provided homes in Toronto with an acoustic dampening quality and was good at covering imperfections in the ceiling. Later on though, the link of asbestos (which was in most of the popcorn ceilings in North America) and hazardous health opted for a whole industry dedicated to the removal of textured ceilings from homes. Popcorn ceiling removal can be a DIY as there are kits out there that provide step by step instructions, however it is always recommended to go with a professional (especially when it comes to health hazards).
Repairing a popcorn ceiling by patching can be an expensive and difficult endeavour, hence it’s usually better to just remove it all together. Also, the deign is quite literally “stuck in the 80s” which is another common reason for removing the texture. Popcorn ceiling of course doesn’t have to automatically be removed, there are pros and there are cons to having the material on your ceilings.
- Has pretty good acoustic dampening quality
- Very economic to instal
- Easy to instal
- It was common for older applications to have asbestos in it which can be extremely hazardous
- Cleaning and painting proved to be very difficult because if its texture.
- Repairing popcorn ceiling was also a difficult task
- It’s a heavy material
The following are the steps taken to remove the popcorn ceiling in Toronto ON:
- The homes prepped according to the room or rooms needing the removal, plastic sheets spread over walls and floors to protect as removing this stuff does get messy.
- Asbestos testing is done prior to any removal, as agitating any material that does contain asbestos is hazardous to health.
- The ceiling is then sprayed with water and allowed to soak it up and dampen before any scraping begins.
- After scraping the desired ceilings in the house, the ceiling is then smoothed out and made even readying it for its next treatment.
Breaking down the cost
In this example for simplicity we will be using a 10’x10′ ceiling.
Plastic sheets, drop cloths, water sprayer. all these will add up to $70-$130.
Generally, contractors will charge on the square footage of a ceiling and not an hourly labour cost. Depending on the size of the room and the age/quality of the popcorn ceiling, and if there is asbestos and/or paint. The average cost per square foot is $1.30- $4 and normally the cost of materials would included in the square footage price.
Improvements and enhancements
- A new texture added to the newly smooth out ceiling can cost $260- $300
- Painting the new ceiling would on average cost $100-$150 professionally done.
Extra costs and considerations
- High ceilings can run an additional cost of $70-$190 depending on the height.
- Furniture has to be removed before the removal process can begin, usually homeowners can do this. If however you leave it to the professionals, there can be an additional cost added.
- When popcorn ceiling has been painted, it takes much longer for the ceiling to soak the initial water as it doesn’t saturate as easy due to the paint. This will also run additional costs to the total, and that cost will vary depending on if the paint is enamel-paint or non-enamel paint.
- If asbestos is found in the popcorn ceiling, there are only two options: Leave it alone or remove it.
Leave it: Asbestos only becomes hazardous if it is agitated, therefore if it is left alone it is harmless.
Remove it: Removing asbestos from the popcorn ceiling will add extra steps to the process which will add extra costs. It is not recommended removing it yourself but rather getting a professional to do it, your best bet is to hire a professional who specializes in popcorn ceiling asbestos removal. Everyone onsite will have to wear protective gear and the homeowners will most likely have to leave the house while the project is being done. If hotels are an only option, then that is also an additional cost to the project.
Get a free estimate and a more accurate price quote for popcorn ceiling removal from GTA ceilings today !